The painting above began life quite a bit different from how it looks today. I painted it in the summer of 2006. It is painted on a Gatorboard panel that was prepped with an under-painting of magenta liquid acrylic and a layer of pumice gel, both from Golden.
I took this painting all the way to what I felt was a finish at the time. I framed it, but was never happy with this piece. So it just ended up sitting in my studio. When I moved to my new space last November I pulled it into the “rework pile”. I recently opened it up, and boldly reworked the entire painting.
I am now thrilled with the finished product. This painting has a great presence to it. I think it is largely due to the size of the painting.