Custom Pet Portrait
$250.00 – $1,000.00
A custom pet portrait is a unique gift for yourself or for the animal lover in your life. It can be a special gift for people who have lost their pets and want to keep warm memories about their animals forever.
Hand-painted pet portraits, made to Order. I work on archival wooden panels, so your original oil painting of your favorite four-legged friend will last for years to come. To help protect the surface of your painting, it will be finished with a matte varnish. This is a perfect gift for the dog or cat lover in your life!
I aim to capture the likeness of your pet and to convey the unique personality of your dog or cat. My hope with any custom pet portrait is to make memories last forever and to put a smile on your face!
Paintings will be based directly on the pictures sent to me. Please see the tips below for advice on choosing and submitting the best photos of your pet.
Every effort is made to photograph items accurately. Colors may differ slightly from photos due to different monitor settings.
6×6", 8×8", 8×10", 11×14, 12×24", 18×24"
How it works
Have any questions along the way?
Having great reference photos makes it easier to end up with a great portrait of your pet. It’s important for me to see all the beautiful details in your pet in order to paint them accurately.
Based on what you’re able to provide, I will partner with you to share my thoughts, feedback, and recommendations to make the best painting possible!
Use these tips when selecting or taking photos of your pet.
- Put the focus on your pet’s face. Select or take pictures at eye level when possible. This also helps with distortion.
- If I can see it, I can paint it! The more clear and sharp the better.
- Looks for photos that show off your pet’s personality.
- If possible, natural lighting is best. Avoid harsh flash photos.
- Pets tend to look theit best when they are in sitting or standing up poses. Lying down poses can cause distortion.
- If you have them, send several photos. That can help me get a better sense of what your pet looks like and their personality.
- Try to find or take photos that are not back lit images and the shadows are not too dark and harsh.
- Where possible, looks for photos that don’t have filters applied. Filters can alter colors or add distortion to a photo.
- If possible please send photos in a large file size, not compressed.
A great pet portrait background puts the focus on your pet and lets them be the focus of your picture. The background shouldn’t distract, compete, or draw too much attention.
When I am working on a painting, my goal with a background is to create something simple that keeps all eyes on your dog or cat. I also want to keep the background from being too flat or boring.
I’ll use your reference photo and plan out your painting with a color or a few colors that will work with your pet’s coloring and make for a great painting.
Let me know if you have a favorite color or a color that you’d like to see as a background in your pet’s portrait. Together we can pick a background color that brings out the personality of your pet or matches the colors in your home.
Check out the images in this section to see how the reference image was simplified to create the final paintings.
Timing and Shipping
Portraits are done in the order that the commissions have been received. Once all the information is received, portraits will be completed within two to three weeks. Because I am working with oil paint, once a painting is complete, it will need about a week before it is dry and ready to ship.
I offer free shipping in the US and flat-rate shipping to Canada and Europe.
Interested in commissioning your own custom pet portrait but have a few questions?
Curious if the photo you have of your dog or cat work for a portrait?
Not sure about what size would be the best?
Looking for information about a larger painting or a custom size?
Please send me your questions.